Songoftheday 10/8/18 - Share my life take me for what I am, 'cause I'll never change all my colors for you...

"I Have Nothing" - Whitney Houston
from the album The Bodyguard (Original Soundtrack) (1992)
Billboard Hot 100 peak: #4 (five weeks)
Weeks in the Top-40: 16

Today's song of the day is by the late Whitney Houston, who had starred in the hit movie The Bodyguard with Kevin Costner in 1992 and had broken the record for weeks at #1 on the American pop chart with her cover of Dolly Parton's "I Will Always Love You", followed by her top-five cover of Chaka Khan's "I'm Every Woman". Also, C+C Music Factory spin-off the S.O.U.L. S.Y.S.T.E.M. and Michelle Visage scored a top-40 pop/#1 club hit with another track from the soundtrack, "It's Gonna Be A Lovely Day". The fourth single released from the album in the U.S. would be another Houston cut, and an original at that. Written by producer David Foster with wife Linda (who was the ex of Bruce Jenner), "I Have Nothing" was Whitney's boldest ballad, letting the full force of her voice come through like a tsunami by the climax of the song...


"I Have Nothing" became the third top ten hit from The Bodyguard in April of 1993. The song also climbed to #4 on Billboard magazine's R&B chart, while it spent two weeks at #1 on their Adult Contemporary (or "easy listening" radio chart). Internationally, the single topped the Canadian singles chart for three weeks, and reached the top ten in the UK (#3), Ireland (#4), Portugal (#7), and Denmark (#9). The track also went to #28 in Australia, #29 in France, and #39 in Germany. It was nominated for an Oscar and a Grammy for Best Original Song from a Movie or TV, both of which went to "A Whole New World" from Aladdin.

(Click below to see the rest of the post)


Whitney performed "I Have Nothing" at the Billboard Music Awards in 1993...


On the Academy Awards, Natalie Cole was brought in to sing both the nominated songs from The Bodyguard, "Run To You" and "I Have Nothing", and it was amazeballs...


A year later at the American Music Awards, she sang "I Have Nothing" along with "I Loves You Porgy" and "And I'm Telling You I'm Not Going", topping even herself...


Here's Whitney that same year live in concert...


In 2012, actor Chris Colfer sang "I Have Nothing" on the Whitney tribute episode on Glee...


Ariana Grande performed the song for President Barack and Michelle Obama at the White House in 2015...


Finally, once again, Whitney in concert in 1996...


Up tomorrow: Homely rockers revive a musical lesson from the 70s.

Comments