Songoftheday 4/10/19 - Baby it was uncool to love me then leave me standing here now, without a goodbye...

"I'm Ready" - Tevin Campbell
from the album I'm Ready (1993)
Billboard Hot 100 peak: #9 (two weeks)
Weeks in the Top-40: 18

Today's song of the day comes from soul singer Tevin Campbell, who had scored his second top ten pop hit in the beginning of 1994 with the song "Can We Talk". During that time, he also had radio stations playing an album track from his second effort, the Prince-written "Shhhh", to the point that the song went to #8 on the R&B Airplay chart and #45 on the Billboard Hot 100 Airplay chart. The second physical single released from the record would be the mid-tempo title track "I'm Ready". Written by Babyface, who produced the track with Daryl Simmons, the profession of love continued Campbell's soulful right choices material...


"I'm Ready" became Tevin's third, and to date final top ten pop hit in May of 1994. The song spent a month (four weeks) at #2 on Billboard's R&B chart as well. Internationally, the single climbed to #9 in New Zealand, and peaked at #21 in Australia, and was a minor hit in Canada at #86. "I'm Ready" was nominated for a Grammy Award for Best Male R&B Vocal Performance in 1995, which went to this song's writer, Babyface, for "When Can I See You", while the I'm Ready album was nommed for best R&B album, which Boyz II Men took for II.

(Click below to see the rest of the post)


Here's Tevin performing live on a TV appearance promoting the single...


And again at Live At The Apollo...


And lastly, a live morning show gig in South Africa in 2013...


Up tomorrow: A "loaded" rapper goes for the behind. 


Comments