Songoftheday 2/14/19 - You are the candle love's the flame, a fire that burns through wind and rain...

"Said I Loved You...But I Lied" - Michael Bolton
from the album The One Thing (1993)
Billboard Hot 100 peak: #6 (two weeks)
Weeks in the Top-40: 20

Today's Valentine's song of the day belongs to singer Michael Bolton, who had just missed the pop top ten in America with a cover of the Bee Gees' "To Love Somebody" that spent five weeks atop the Adult Contemporary (or "easy listening") chart in Billboard magazine at the end of 1992. The following year, Bolton returned with his ninth studio album The One Thing. The lead single, "Said I Loved You...But I Lied" was a misleadingly-titled ballad written and produced by Michael with Robert "Mutt" Lange, who also helmed Bryan Adams' "Please Forgive Me", which also was hitting the charts at the same time. To be fair though, I really don't know what "this is more than love that I feel inside" means...



"Said I Loved You...But I Lied" became Bolton's seventh and so far most recent top ten pop hit in America in January of 1994. The single was massive at easy-listening radio stations, crowning the Adult Contemporary chart in Billboard for twelve weeks. Internationally, the single made it as high as #2 in Australia and #3 in Canada, while peaking at #13 in New Zealand, #15 in the UK, and #16 in Ireland. "Said I Loved You..." was also nominated for a Grammy Award for Best Male Pop Vocal, which went to Elton John that year for "Can You Feel The Love Tonight".

(Click below to see the rest of the post)


Here's Michael making a TV appearance to promote the single...


And lastly, live at the Royal Albert Hall in London in 2009...



Up tomorrow: Rapper advises to be more optimistic.

Comments