Songoftheday 5/16/20 - Baby, let me say what's on my mind, take a little time to express myself honey I think you're fly...

"I Like" - Montell Jordan with Slick Rick
from the albums The Nutty Professor (Original Soundtrack) and More... (1996)
Billboard Hot 100 peak: #28 (four weeks)
Weeks in the Top-40: 9

Today's song of the day comes from R&B singer Montell Jordan, who came on strong out of the box with his debut single "This Is How We Do It", which spent seven weeks at #1, followed by the top-40 hit "Somethin' 4 Da Honeyz". In 1996, Montell returned with a song that was featured in the Eddie Murphy version of The Nutty Professor movie, and would also serve as the lead single from his second album More.... "I Like", written by Montell and featuring rapper Slick Rick, would be the third top-40 hit from that movie, following Monica's "Ain't Nobody" and Case's "Touch Me, Tease Me"...


"I Like" became Jordan's third top-40 pop hit in July of 1996. The song also climbed to #11 on Billboard magazine's R&B chart. Internationally, the single reached the top ten in New Zealand at #9, and peaked at #24 in the UK. The More... album missed the sales top-40 at #47, but did get to #14 on the R&B-only genre list.

(Click below to see the rest of the post)


And here's Montell like with "I Like" in concert in 2008...


Up tomorrow: Vocal quartet serenades about a future time for Quasimodo.

Comments