Songoftheday 8/28/19 - You gave me life you gave me all my hopes and dreams oh sweet mama and now I realize all the joy you've put inside of me...

"I Miss You" - N II U
from the album N II U (1994)
Billboard Hot 100 peak: #22 (one week)
Weeks in the Top-40: 11

Today's song of the day comes from the R&B vocal group N II U, who came together in New Jersey in the early 1990s. The quartet of Chuckie Howard, Chris Herbert, Don Carlis, and Craig Hill released their self-titled debut and only album in 1994. The lead single from the record, the midtempo synth-soul jam "You Don't Have To Cry", became their first minor R&B hit at #56. But it would be their second release that would give the act their biggest success. "I Miss You". Written by Chuckie with producer Vincent Herbert, the ballad to his mother was pleasant and earnest enough to get pop radio on board with the song around Valentine's Day. The harmonies on this record are breathtaking...


"I Miss You" became N II U's first and only top-40 pop hit in February of 1995. The song also climbed to #14 on Billboard magazine's R&B chart. A third single was released from the album, "There Will Never Be", which spent a month on the R&B chart peaking at #90. And that would be the last we heard from the group or its members on the chart, as far as I can tell.

(Click below to see the rest of the post)


There was an "urban"-style remix which substituted the piano for synth keyboards, which certainly helped with R&B radio...


Up tomorrow: Soul siblings sing for some sweet precipitation.

Comments