Disco Dessert 2/29/20 - "Vertigo/Relight My Fire" by Dan Hartman...

"Vertigo/Relight My Fire" was a classic club hit for the late singer Dan Hartman. Appearing on his album Relight My Fire, the song was written and produced by Hartman, and featured an amazing performance by (also the late) disco diva Loleatta Holloway that would be sampled ad nauseam since. On Billboard magazine's Disco Top-100 chart, the album charted as one entry, with "Vertigo/Relight My Fire" and his disco remake of his "Free Ride" rock classic with the Edgar Winter Group as key cuts. While Relight My Fire spent a massive six weeks at #1 there in 1980, the single criminally missed the pop Hot 100 completely, "bubbling under" the list at #105. About 15 years later, a cover of the song by the boy-band Take That topped the singles chart in England, while a version from Ricky Martin made the Dance chart top-5 in 2003. But to me, the original from Hartman is one of the best disco records of all time. Tragically, we lost Dan to AIDS in 1994.





Comments