Songoftheday 5/9/19 - And I thought what I felt was simple and I thought that I don't belong, and now that I am leaving now I know that I did something wrong...

"Stay (I Missed You)" - Lisa Loeb & Nine Stories
from the albums Reality Bites (Original Soundtrack) (1994) and Tails (1995)
Billboard Hot 100 peak: #1 (three weeks)
Weeks in the Top-40: 25

Today's song of the day comes from singer/songwriter Lisa Loeb, who had grown up in Dallas before attending the Berklee College of Music in Boston and set up gigging mostly in New York City. It was there that she met actor Ethan Hawke, who was living in the City after attending high school in Princeton. He brought one of her demo songs, "Stay (I Missed You)", to Ben Stiller, with whom he was filming the movie Reality Bites. Stiller included it in the soundtrack, and after a rework of the Knack's "My Sharona" that re-entered the chart at #91, and the top ten pop hit cover of Peter Frampton's "Baby I Love Your Way" from reggae band Big Mountain, "Stay" was the third track to make the chart from the album that year. Produced by Lisa and Juan PatiƱo and billed as Lisa Loeb and Nine Stories, she became the first artist to score a #1 pop hit without being signed to a label (the song was commissioned for the album by RCA). The music video was a one-shot deal from Hawke...


"Stay (I Missed You)" became Lisa's first and biggest top-40 pop hit, spending three weeks on top of the American pop Hot 100 in August of 1994. The song also climbed to #7 on Billboard's Modern Rock radio chart, and crossed over to #5 on their Adult Contemporary (or "easy listening") format tally. Internationally, the single went to #1 for two weeks in Canada, and reached the top ten in the UK and Australia (both #6). It also reached the top-40 in Ireland (#12), New Zealand (#14), and Sweden (#38). "Stay" was nominated for a Grammy Award for Best Duo/Group Pop Vocal Performance, which went to All-4-One for "I Swear".

(Click below to see the rest of the post)


Here's Lisa making her debut on Lettermen in 1994...


Next up is an "unplugged" take at MTV's Beach House in 1994...


Here's Lisa talking about the recording of the song in 2017...


And now Lisa in 2019 at the She Rocks Awards...


Lastly, Lisa just redid "Stay" with Canadian band Walk Off The Earth...


Up tomorrow: Epic singer is having trouble with distances.

Comments