Songoftheday 1/18/13 - I made a break and run out yesterday, tried to find my mountain hideaway...


Duran Duran - "Is There Something I Should Know?"
from the album Duran Duran (US reissue) (1983)
Billboard Hot 100 peak: #4 (one week)
Weeks in the Top-40: 12

Today's Song of the Day is by the Fab Five of the 2nd "British Invasion", Duran Duran, who finally broke through in a big way in the US with their second album Rio, which gave them a top-3 pop hit with "Hungry Like The Wolf" and a top-20 follow-up in the title track. By then millions of screaming, adoring girls (like my sister) were fanatical for the new-wave band, and to tide over until they could finish writing and recording another album (and to sync their releases in England and the States), Duran Duran issued a stand-alone single, "Is There Something I Should Know?", which would be tacked on to the re-release of their self-titled debut album in the US. For a band with such a rabid fanbase, it was only appropriate to be the most early-Beatles'-sounding song they've recorded to date, undermining the bitter, paranoiac lyrics Simon LeBon was singing....


"Is There Something I Should Know?" rocketed into the British charts right at #1 in its first week (their first chart-topper there), and made the top-5 on the American pop chart. The single also made the top-40 of the dance club chart as well, and allowed the reissued album to reach the US top-10.

(Click below to see the rest of the post)


..and here's the band doing it live more recently..


Up tomorrow: Some feminine employment.


Comments

John said…
Very possibly my favorite Duran squared song. I had that 45 and know that sleeve intimately. Jus'sayin.
twostepcub said…
Good choice. Mine is "I Don't Want Your Love". With "Union Of THe Snake" a close second.