8 of the 80s: 8/9/12...


Hey folks, it's time for this week's "8 of the 80s", with nuggets from the decade of shoulderpads and legwarmers. This week it's eight songs from 1983, and not just any songs, songs that crazily never made the Hot 100, though they mostly remain popular today..

from the album Last Night A DJ Saved My Life (1983)
Billboard peak: #101


Club classic by the New York group did get into the top-10 on the R&B chart, but what the F with pop radio? This rocks...


(Click below to see the rest of the post)


Gloria Gaynor - "I Am What I Am"
from the album I Am Gloria Gaynor (1983)
Billboard peak: #102


Disco queen tears up the showstopper from La Cage Aux Folles and creates a true "survivor" anthem.


Grace Jones - "Nipple To The Bottle"
from the album Living My Life (1983)
Billboard peak: #103


Ladies and gentlemen. Miss Grace Jones. No excuses, no regrets. Awesome.


Freeez - "I.O.U."
from the album Gonna Get You (1983)
Billboard peak: #104


My dad had this on a recorded 8-track from a 12" that I flipped over. I still do.


Dire Straits - "Twisting By The Pool"
from the EP ExtendedancEPlay (1983)
Billboard peak: #105


Before "Money For Nothing" made them A-list, Knopfler and the gang still go to the party with this retro-rock jam.


Robert Hazard & The Heroes - "Change Reaction"
from the EP Robert Hazard (1982)
Billboard peak: #106


The 80s still was the realm of local radio heroes, as this Philly rocker was huge around my parts. He made up for it with royalties for "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun"..


Madonna - "Everybody"
from the album Madonna (1983)
Billboard peak: #107


Madonna's first single missed the Hot 100. Let that sink in for a minute. Chalk up one for tenacity.


The Cure - "Let's Go To Bed"
from the album Japanese Whispers (1983)
Billboard peak: #109


"Let me take your hands, I'm shakin' like milk..." I so twirled to this in college. Best Cure song ever.

That's it for tonight...stay tuned tomorrow for my top-100 songs for the week. Cheers!

Comments