8 of the 80s: 8/23/12...






Thanks for dropping by, it's time for this week's "8 of the 80s", where I'll bring you eight nuggets from the 80s. This time out it's 1985, the year Mikhail Gorbachev took over the dying Soviet Union.

Rene & Angela - "Save Your Love (For #1)"
from the album Street Called Desire (1985)
Billboard peak: #101


What promised to be the Ashford & Simpson of the 80s proved to be a short-shining star in the funk atmosphere..


(Click below to see the rest of the post)


Sade - "Hang On To Your Love"
from the album Diamond Life (1985)
Billboard  peak: #102



A true underrated nugget from Sade's flawless debut album.


Rock Master Scott & The Dynamic Three - "Request Line"
from the 12" Single Request Line/The Roof Is On Fire (1985)
Billboard peak: #103


I wore this record out in high school. Otherwise known as the A-side of "The Roof Is On Fire".


Steve Arrington - "Feel So Real"
from the album Dancin' In The Key Of Life (1985)
Billboard peak: #104


I got this on a British import back in the day, and it was like going to church for me.


General Public - "Never You Done That"
from the album All The Rage (1984)
Billboard peak: #105


The fallout from the collapse of the Specials was the awesomeness of General Public. I saw them in Chicago in 1987 as a mad little fanboy.


Nik Kershaw - "The Riddle"
from the album The Riddle (1984)
Billboard peak: #107


An artist that should have been so much bigger in the States. Smart, danceable pop music for the 80s.


Sam Harris - "Hearts On Fire"
from the album Sam Harris (1984)
Billboard peak: #108


Star Search winner and fave of mine from his Motown Records debut album. Vocal chops for days.


Mai Tai - "History"
from the album Mai Tai (1985)
Billboard peak: #109


To say I'm obsessed with this song is an understatement. For a while I would trowel Tower Records for copies of this on any medium I could find (before the age of computer retail of course) and still have the vinyl, cassette, and CD copies of this in my "classics" case.

That's it for this week, stay tuned tomorrow for my weekly chart of my top-100 tunes for the week. Keep on groovin'!

Comments

John said…
I love most of these tracks, but I was OBSESSED with Rene and Angela and Street Named Desire. There was something about their music that moved me, and "You Don't Have To Cry" is one of the best ballads from the 80s across any genre. Loved Angela's solo stuff, too. "Angel" is just epic.
twostepcub said…
I loved R&A as well. I bought the cassette of SND in Chicago and it was a frequent Walkman staple on my trainrides.