Songoftheday 2/16/21 - It's seven o' clock on the dot I'm in my drop top cruisin' the streets, I gotta a real pretty little thang that's waiting for me...

 
"Nice & Slow" - Usher
from the album My Way (1997)
Billboard Hot 100 peak: #1 (two weeks)
Weeks in the Top-40: 22
 
Today's song of the day comes from R&B singer Usher, who had finally broke through big with the first single from his second album My Way, "You Make Me Wanna...", which hung out in the runner-up spot on the American pop chart for a hefty seven weeks in the autumn of 1997.  The second release from the record was the downtempo "booty call" slow jam "Nice & Slow". Written by Usher and producers Jermaine Dupri and Manuel Seal Jr along with Brain Casey of the vocal group Jagged Edge, who provide the background vocals and spoken interlude, the song has the just-turning-20 singer describing how he's going for some tantric-style relations for his lady. In fact, he possibly give away his inexperience with lines like "I got plans to put my hands in places I never seen girl you know what I mean". The music video, however, turns this on its head as Usher and model Kimora Love are cast in some foreign kidnapping movie that lets him go to Paris as well as blow things up...


"Nice & Slow" gave Usher his first #1 pop hit on Valentine's Day of 1998. The song also spent two months (eight weeks) at #1 on Billboard magazine's R&B chart as well. Internationally, the single peaked at #7 in New Zealand, and reached the top-40 in the Netherlands (#20) and the UK (#24). 

(6/10)

(Click below to see the rest of the post)
 
Here's Usher performing the song for the Soul Train Music Awards in 1998...
 

 
 Next up, live in concert in 2012...


And finally, an intimate taped gig from more recently...


Up tomorrow: Seattle grungers take off.
 



 

Comments