Songoftheday 1/3/15 - I just get more attached to you, when you hold me in your arms and squeeze me and you leave me making me blue...


"When I Think Of You" - Janet Jackson
from the album Control (1986)
Billboard Hot 100 peak: #1 (two weeks)
Weeks in the Top-40: 13

Today's Song of the Day comes from Janet Jackson, whose classic Control album had already spun off two big hit singles with "What Have You Done For Me Lately" and "Nasty". The third release from the album would prove to be its biggest hit and her first to go to #1. "When I Think Of You", a bouncy pop love song written by Janet with her producers Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis, took a break from her assertive attitude on her previous hits for an ebullient expression of her feeling for a guy, and from the infectious giggle in her voice to the music video, which took her dancing through the streets, it was no wonder why this was the most popular moment on Control. (Again, her choreographer Paula Abdul makes another appearance as well)...


"When I Think Of You" made the top spot on Billboard's Hot 100 for two weeks in October of 1986. The single also went to #3 on their R&B chart, and #10 on the Adult Contemporary list. The 12" single (in which this video's mix is taken from) gave Janet her first club #1. Internationally, the record went top-ten in England, Canada, Belgium, and the Netherlands.

(Click below to see the rest of the post)


Here's Janet performing the song on her first tour in 1990...


In 1996 house music master David Morales tweaked "When I Think Of You" for a re-released single in the UK...


Up tomorrow: A woman with an "attitude" gets charitable.


Comments