Songoftheday 2/27/22 - I never had no one I could count on, I've been let down so many times...

 
"My Best Friend" - Tim McGraw
from the album A Place In The Sun (1999)
Billboard Hot 100 peak: #29 (two weeks)
Weeks in the Top-40: 9
 
Today's song comes from Tim McGraw, whose fifth studio album A Place In The Sun had scored a top ten crossover hit with "Please Remember Me" and a top-40 follow-up with "Something Like That". The third radio single from the set was the "soulmate" love song "My Best Friend". Written by Aimee Mayo and Bill Luther, the song has Tim recount how special and vital his partner is to himself, with generalities that don't seem too vague to be greeting card fodder (I credit Mayo on that). Produced by McGraw with Byron Gallimore and James Stroud, the song continued Tim's string of success...
 

 
"My Best Friend" became the third #1 country hit from A Place In The Sun, spending two weeks at the top, while reaching the Hot 100 top-40 in January of 2000. Internationally, the single peaked at #4 on the Canadian Country chart. At the Grammy Awards in 2001, "My Best Friend" was nominated for Best Male Country Vocal Performance, losing to Johnny Cash for his "Solitary Man". Tim and this album will be back to the series. 

(7/10)

(Click below to see the rest of the post)

Here's the album version of the song....


 and lastly, here's Tim performing "My Best Friend" at the CMA Awards...


Up tomorrow: R&B group member breaks from the fold with a purpose.


 

Comments