Songoftheday 3/18/16 - Now I have a story that I'd like to tell, about this guy you all know him he had me scared as hell!


"A Nightmare On My Street" - DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince
from the album He's The DJ, I'm The Rapper (1988)
Billboard Hot 100 peak: #15 (one week)
Weeks in the Top-40: 9

Today's song of the day comes from the rap/DJ duo Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince, whose comedic  spin on hip-hop landed them a top-twenty pop hit in the summer of 1988 with "Parents Just Don't Understand". Their follow-up single was originally intended for the movie franchise Nightmare On Elm Street 4, only to be passed over for the Fat Boys' "Are You Ready For Freddy". Instead, Jeff and Will released the song on their own, though they couldn't tie it in to the film, the lyrics were clear what they were rapping about, and it did give some nuance to their image, with the eerie synths giving a good, evil backdrop...


"Nightmare On My Street" became the pair's second top-20 pop hit in September of 1988. The song also climbed to #9 on Billboard's R&B chart. In Canada it also was a minor hit at #61.

Up tomorrow: A toxic glam metal band sings of Lucifer?

Comments