Songoftheday 5/23/15 - I like things that go fast, because I know that good things don't ever last...


"I Know What I Like" - Huey Lewis & The News
from the album Fore! (1986)
Billboard Hot 100 peak: #9 (one week)
Weeks in the Top-40: 10

Today's SOTD comes from the squeaky-clean bar-rock band Huey Lewis & The News, whose punny fourth album Fore! had rewarded them with a pair of #1 pop hits with "Stuck With You" and "Jacob's Ladder" and a not-too-shabby #3 "Hip To Be Square". Like the latter song, the guys enlisted the help of a few football players including hometown hero Joe Montana to "sing" (more like grunt) backup on their fourth single "I Know What I Like". The lyrics "I like the sound of broken glass" is a callback to their early days in Britain backing up the likes of Elvis Costello and Nick Lowe, whose song is referenced...


"I Know What I Like" became the fourth top-10 pop hit off of Fore! in May of 1987. The record also crossed over to both the Mainstream Rock (#25) and Adult Contemporary (#30) radio charts in Billboard.

(Click below to see the rest of the post)


Here's the studio version of the song...


Up tomorrow: a ceiling-dancer dangles his participles.

Comments