Songoftheday 5/15/14 - Baby I know you're wondering why I won't go over to your place, 'cause I'm not too sure about how you feel so I'd rather go at my own pace...


Lisa Lisa & Cult Jam featuring Full Force - "I Wonder If I Take You Home"
from the album Lisa Lisa & Cult Jam with Full Force (1985)
Billboard Hot 100 peak: #34 (one week)
Weeks in the Top-40: 6

Today's Song of the Day comes from the New York freestyle dance group Lisa Lisa & Cult Jam, who were put together by the R&B/hip-hop group Full Force, and released their first album with credited their labelmates in 1985. Their first single, "I Wonder If I Take You Home", featured a rap-style beat from members Spanador and Mike Hughes, but instead of an MC, Puerto Rican-American singer Lisa Velez warbled over the track that's half come-on and half regret, like a "Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow" for the 80s generation...


"I Wonder If I Take You Home" became the group's first top-40 pop hit in August of 1985, after topping the dance club play chart and reaching #6 on the R&B list in Billboard magazine. Internationally, where the song was originally released in a breakdancing compilation, the single did even better on the chart, climbing to #12 on the chart in the UK, and going top-40 in neighboring Ireland. But "I Wonder..."'s success was far bigger than its chart peak belies, becoming a cult classic in the discos and on the up and coming Latin-flavored dance pop radio that was starting to pick up real steam in the bigger cities like New York, Chicago, and Philadelphia.

(Click below to see the rest of the post)


In 1995 the rap group Junior M.A.F.I.A. interpolated the song with a then-new singer Aaliyah singing the chorus on "I Need You Tonight", which went to #43 on the R&B chart...


Rapper Angie Martinez teamed up with pre-"Milkshake" Kelis for "Take You Home", which went to #85 on the pop chart in 2003...


A year later, Kylie Minogue mixed the song into her own "Secret (Take You Home") in 2004, which was a hit single in Asia..


The Black Eyed Peas sampled the track for their top-10 hit "Don't Phunk With My Heart" in 2005...


Up tomorrow: A British rock group goes to the appliance store. Hilarity ensues.

Comments