Songoftheday 11/30/12 - Well you can tell everyone I'm a damned disgrace, drag my name all over the place...


Phil Collins - "I Don't Care Anymore"
from the album Hello...I Must Be Going! (1982)
Billboard Hot 100 peak: #39 (three weeks)
Weeks in the Top-40: 3

Today's song of the day is by singer/drummer Phil Collins, who already had a busy 1982 as part of Genesis with a successful album, tour, and resulting part-live CD with a top-40 hit in tow with "Paperlate", as well as releasing his second solo album, which gave Collins his first solo top-10 hit, a cover of the Supremes' "You Can't Hurry Love".

For the followup to that hit, Collins released the much more moody "I Don't Care Anymore", which resembles his first album's "In The Air Tonight" quite a bit, but with a more personal angst resulting from the breakup of his marriage...


"I Don't Care Anymore" was Phil's big rock hit from the album, reaching #3 on that format's chart in Billboard, while sneaking into the top-40 for a few weeks. And the Hello...I Must Be Going! album, which is deceptively much more multilayered than the included Supremes' hit, remains one of my top-5 albums of all time.

(Click below to see the rest of the post)


..and here's Phil in 1982 performing the song live (when the emotions must have still been really fresh)...



Up tomorrow: "Gloria" plays cards.



Comments