Songoftheday 12/17/19 - Baby, show me what you feel, come to me show me somethin' real...

"Can I Touch You...There?" - Michael Bolton
from the album Greatest Hits 1985-1995 (1995)
Billboard Hot 100 peak; #27 (three weeks)
Weeks in the Top-40: 6

Today's song of the day comes from soft-rock singer/songwriter Michael Bolton, who had dominated mainstream radio in the first half of the 1990s, although his 1993 album The One Thing showing a little slowing down even if it sold over three million copies and scored a top ten pop hit with "Said I Loved You...But I Lied" and two top-40 follow-ups in "Completely" and "Ain't Got Nothin' If You Ain't Got Love" (the latter albeit on the airplay chart only). In 1995 Bolton released his first compilation, Greatest Hits 1985-1995, which collected twelve of his biggest songs from four huge albums, along with five previously unreleased recordings. For the first single, another Bolton-"Mutt" Lange collaboration was released with the similarly punctuated "Can I Touch You...There?" hoping to catch the same magic as "Said I Loved You...But I Lied", which earned Bolton his most recent Grammy nomination. That wasn't meant to be, though many easy listening stations got on board again. The weird "Enigma-like" rhythm didn't sit with me too well..


"Can I Touch You...There?" granted Michael another top-40 pop hit, but down in the bottom half, where the record only stayed for six weeks. The song naturally did better on "easy listening" radio stations, climbing to #9. And for the first time since 1990's "Soul Provider", he returned to Billboard's R&B chart at #62, spending 14 weeks there. Internationally, the song did remarkably better, with it reaching the top ten in the UK (#6, his second-best rank) and in Canada at #7. The record also went to #15 in Ireland, #18 in Australia, and #22 in New Zealand. The Greatest Hits album eventually hit #5 and available everywhere.

The second single released to radio from the Hits set was "A Love So Beautiful", which scored Michael a second British top-40 hit (UK #27) and in America on the "Adult Contemporary" chart it rose to #19. Lastly in the UK, Michael's 1989 single "Soul Provider", which stalled at #77 there, was re-released with the hits set, and climbed to #35 on the Hot 100. In Germany, where "Can I Touch You There" peaked at #57, his version of "I Found Someone" went to #93.

(Click below to see the rest of the post)


Here's Michael getting nervy and bringing the single to Showtime At The Apollo...


and lastly, live at the Royal Albert Hall in 2009...


Well, folks, this is my final Song of the Day for this year save one special one that'll come up on the weekend. In place soon i will be starting my run down of the top hit on my weekly chart from last year. Stay tuned!

                          


Comments