Songoftheday 12/15/19 - Spent forty-eight dollars last night at the county fair, I threw out my shoulder but I won her that teddy bear...

"I Like It, I Love It" - Tim McGraw
from the album All I Want (1995)
Billboard Hot 100 peak: #25 (one week)
Weeks in the Top-40: 6

Today's song of the day comes from country singer Tim McGraw, whose second album Not A Moment Too Soon had scored him a pair of top-20 pop hits thanks to the massive sales (and not radio airplay) of "Indian Outlaw" and "Don't Take The Girl", the latter in the summer of 1994. The following year, Tim returned with the first single from his next studio record All I Want. "I Like It, I Love It" was a low-brain, high-bootyshaker dancefloor anthem that fit perfectly as the line dancing fad was hitting its peak across America. Written by Jeb Stuart Anderson, Steve Dukes, and Mark Hall (not exactly big writers in the scene at that point) it gave a fresh sound to radio, and released as a CD/cassette single again, fans gobbled it up until the album came in a few months later. Those huge sales numbers got McGraw another "pop" hit, making him and Shania Twain the "big" names in the genre (although Garth was selling more albums)...


"I Like It, I Love It" became Tim's third top-40 hit on the American Hot 100 chart in September of 1995. The song spent a whopping five weeks at #1 on Billboard magazine's Country Songs chart. It also topped the Canadian country chart for two weeks as well.

Like he did with his previous album, McGraw followed up this silly line-dance friendly song with a sappy ballad, this time in "Can't Be Really Gone". It was also released in a cassette single, but while it took two weeks at #2 on the Country Songs chart, this one only managed to make it to #87 on the pop Hot 100 from its sales. That was followed by the uptempo title-ish track "All I Want Is A Life", which climbed to #5 on the Country chart. The fourth release from the record, the midtempo and more "mature" love song "She Never Let It Go To Her Heart" put McGraw back at #1 on the country chart for two weeks, even without a music video for CMT to play. Finally, the single "Maybe We Should Sleep On It" rose to #4 on the country chart, making it ten consecutive top ten hits from just two albums.

(Click below to see the rest of the post)


Here's Tim in concert in 2009...


and from this past year's Super Bowl Tailgate Party with Kane Brown...


Up tomorrow: Moesha is pretty upset.

Comments

Alan Scott said…
My favorite Tim McGraw song!