Songoftheday 5/14/13 - Ev'ry time I run into your friends I just have to ask them with who and where you've been...


Ray Parker Jr. - "I Still Can't Get Over Loving You"
from the album Woman Out Of Control (1983)
Billboard Hot 100 peak: #12 (one week)
Weeks in the Top-40: 11

Today's Song of the Day is by pop/soul musician Ray Parker Jr., who broke away from his band Raydio in 1982 and scored a top-10 hit out of the box with "The Other Woman". Ray began 1983 with a Greatest Hits package that included another new top 40 pop single, "Bad Boy". He finished off the year with his second solo album, Woman Out Of Control, which provided him another big hit with "I Still Can't Get Over Loving You", which dubiously sounds just like the similarly paranoid "Every Breath You Take" by the Police, even cribbing the tagline as one of the fadeout lines....


"I Still Can't Get Over..." became the singer's fourth top-40 pop hit at the end of 1983, and reached #12 on both the pop and R&B charts at the beginning of the next year. It did even better on adult contemporary radio, peaking at #10 on that chart. And despite Police comparisons, as a teen I absolutely adored this song, playing it over and over on my cassette player.

The next big hit for Ray would again make him the target of plagiarism charges, even sending him to court with Huey Lewis over "Ghostbusters"...

(Click below to see the rest of the post)


...Here's Ray on TV I believe miming the song...



Up tomorrow: The First Book in progressive rock has Revelations.

Comments