Songoftheday 12/6/13 - You have said as much as you can say your heart is just about to overflow...


REO Speedwagon - "I Do'wanna Know"
from the album Wheels Are Turnin' (1984)
Billboard Hot 100 peak: #29 (one week)
Weeks in the Top-40: 5

Today's Song of the Day is from the Indiana-born arena rock band REO Speedwagon, who took after after their 1982 album Good Trouble spun off two top-40 pop hits with "Keep The Fire Burnin'" and "Sweet Time". Coming back two years later with their eleventh studio set Wheels Are Turnin', the group released the party-rockin' "I Do'wanna Know", written by lead singer Kevin Cronin, as the first single, and the music video possibly cribbed its concept from Queen's mock dressup comedy of "I Want To Break Free" from earlier that year. (Bass player Bruce Hall mimes the song as the punk kid in the clip)...


As a lead-off single, "I Do'wanna Know" underperformed, spending a little over a month in the lower half of the top-40 in December of 1984, while doing a bit better on rock radio, topping out at #5. They would make up for that in spades on their follow-up, which would become their biggest hit single ever. I guess pop radio didn't wanna know this song, but couldn't fight the second one. I'm not sure why, I really digged this record and bought the album from this single alone...

(Click below to see the rest of the post)


...and here's the audio of "I Do'Wanna Know" live from their 1984 tour...


Up tomorrow: A former Geils-man requires your presence this evening.

Comments