Songoftheday 3/17/14 - There's a whole lot of girls messin around trying to get me, they do things 'cause they know my girl is away they try to upset me...


Luther Vandross - "'Til My Baby Comes Home"
from the album The Night I Fell In Love (1985)
Billboard Hot 100 peak: #29 (one week)
Weeks in the Top-40: 6

Today's Song of the Day is by R&B vocal icon Luther Vandross, who got started singing in the disco group Change, which scraped the top-40 in 1980 with "A Lover's Holiday" (ironically, a song Luther wasn't lead singer on). He left Change in 1981, and released his first single, "Never Too Much". That song ended up going to #1 on the R&B chart as well as becoming his first pop top-40 hit at #33 (it also was his first top-10 dance hit at #4).

Although he had success producing hits like Aretha Franklin's "Jump To It", it was another two years before Luther would be back in the top-40 himself, with a duet with Dionne Warwick, "How Many Times Can We Say Goodbye". In 1985, Vandross released his fourth solo album, The Night I Fell In Love. The first single from the project, "Til My Baby Comes Home", was written and produced by the singer with Marcus Miller, and strayed away from disco to an almost gospel-style swing...


"Til My Baby Comes Home" became Luther's third top-40 pop hit in May of 1985, while scaling to #4 on the R&B chart. He would go on to be nominated for a Grammy for R&B album.

Lord, do I miss his voice. Rest in peace, brother.

(Click below to see the rest of the post)


...and here's Luther live in concert in London in 1987...


Also, American Idol winner Fantasia covered the song for the tribute album to Luther...


Up tomorrow: the Boston boys can't find their romantic direction.

Comments