Songoftheday 12/27/13 - Make me feel like paradise give me what I'm missing, send me to the highest heights take me up and away...


Stevie Wonder - "Lovelight In Flight"
from the album The Woman In Red (Original Soundtrack) (1984)
Billboard Hot 100 peak: #17 (one week)
Weeks in the Top-40: 10

Today's Song of the Day is by R&B legend Stevie Wonder, who was commissioned for the soundtrack to the Gene Wilder flick The Woman In Red in 1984. The first single from the album was Stevie's biggest hit to date, "I Just Called To Say I Love You". As much as that record was treacly sweet, the followup was much better, fusing funk and electrodance into a busily-arranged soul nugget "Lovelight In Flight"....


"Lovelight" reached the top-20 on the American pop chart in February of 1985, while going top-ten on both the R&B (#4) and adult-contemporary (#10) radio formats. Across the pond in England, where "I Just Called..." was the second-biggest selling single in that country (behind "Do They Know It's Christmas?"), this single stalled right under the top-40 at #44. It remains one of my favorite Wonder singles, certainly one of his best of the 80s.

Up tomorrow: The Purple One's reaaaaally devoted.

Comments