7 of the 70s: 3/28/13 (1972)...


I'm back with another seven nuggets from the golden 70s, and this time it's a trip to 1972, the year Pioneer 10, the first satellite to leave the solar system, is launched.

Bill Withers - "Use Me"
from the album Still Bill (1972)
Billboard Hot 100 peak: #2


Whenever I need to reign in my sometimes insatiable urge to buy new music, I dig up treasures like this that I could take to a desert island and be happy with.

(Click below to see the rest of the post)


Argent - "Hold Your Head Up"
from the album All Together Now (1972)

Billboard Hot 100 peak: #5


The keyboardist from the Zombies enters the harder psychedelic rock nerve with this one-shot anthem that never seems old in the car.

The Stylistics - "I'm Stone In Love With You"
from the album Round 2 (1972)
Billboard Hot 100 peak: #10


Oh man, Russell Thompson's falsetto is like chocolate ice cream to me. I can't get enough. Such a beautiful Linda Creed/Thom & Anthony Bell song.

Carly Simon - "Anticipation"
from the album Anticipation (1971)
Billboard Hot 100 peak: #13


I think I need to go on a mission to permanently separate the public's association of this classic to the ketchup commerical.  It's nice to see her so in command since stage fright always got the best of her.

Todd Rundgren - "I Saw The Light"
from the album Something/Anything? (1972)
Billboard Hot 100 peak: #16


In my eyes, Rundgren was the Phil Spector of the 70s, minus the crazy and plus the sunshine in his own wall of sound.

Jo Jo Gunne - "Run Run Run"
from the album Jo Jo Gunne (1972)
Billboard Hot 100 peak: #27


The pop/hard rock band included Philly native Mark Andes, who would do a stint in Heart during their "comeback" heyday of the 80s.

James Brown - "King Heroin"
from the album There It Is (1972)
Billboard Hot 100 peak: #40


A anti-drug message from a man haunted by quite a few issues of his own, I admit I included this on a free-think from my missing week of RuPaul's Drag Race and Detox's grunt of "Heroine"....

That's it for now...I'll return with eight more nuggets from 1982...



Comments