Songoftheday 6/28/18 - Rescue me from the mire whisper words of desire, rescue me darling rescue me...

"Do I Have To Say The Words?" - Bryan Adams
from the album Waking Up The Neighbours (1991)
Billboard Hot 100 peak: #11 (one week)
Weeks in the Top-40: 15

Today's song of the day comes from Canadian rock artist Bryan Adams, whose 1991 album Waking Up The Neighbours, his "collaboration" with producer Robert "Mutt" Lange, had already spun off four top-40 pop hits in America with "There Will Never Be Another Tonight", "Thought I Died And Gone To Heaven", "Can't Stop This Thing We Started", and the #1 classic "(Everything I Do) I Do It For You". Also, album track "Touch The Hand" climbed to #13 on the Mainstream Rock radio chart (released in Canada, it went to #37), while "All I Want Is You" was put out as a single internationally and reached the top-40 in Ireland (#20), the UK (#22), and Australia (#31). The fifth American pop radio single from the album would be the downtempo rock ballad "Do I Have To Say The Words?". Produced by Adams and Lange who both co-wrote the song with Adams' longtime partner Jim Vallance, it was the big finish to the promotion of the album here...


"Do I Have To Say The Words?" became the fifth and final top-40 pop hit from the Waking album in October of 1992. The song climbed all the way to #5 on Billboard's Adult Contemporary (or "easy listening") radio chart, and made it to #14 on their Mainstream Rock format tally. Internationally, the single went all the way to #2 in Canada for three weeks, and reached the top-40 in the UK (#30), Belgium (#30), and the Netherlands (#34).

(Click below to see the rest of the post)


Director Anton Corbijn (Depeche Mode) also made an extended version of the music video, shot in Turkey and Iceland...


...and live on tour in 2017...


Up tomorrow: Soulful quintet finds a finicky female.

Comments