Songoftheday 4/9/16 - Give me time to care the moments here for us to share, still my heart is not always there what more can I say to you?


"How Can I Fall" - Breathe
from the album All That Jazz (1988)
Billboard Hot 100 peak: #3 (two weeks)
Weeks in the Top-40: 16

Today's song of the day comes from the British "sophisti-pop" trio Breathe, who landed big on American shores with their single "Hands To Heaven" in the summer of 1988. For the follow-up the band released the equally-ethereal "How Can I Fall". Written by lead singer David Glasper and band guitarist Marcus Lillington, the record sounds like a tender love ballad on the surface, but the lyrics belie the truth that the singer is mulling over how to break up a relationship that isn't going anywhere...


"How Can I Fall" became Breathe's second top-5 pop hit in America in December of 1988. The single was their first and only to climb to #1 on Billboard's Adult Contemporary (or "easy listening") radio chart. Surprisingly, in their native Britain the song stalled out beneath the top-40 at #48.

Up tomorrow: Irish rock heroes rattle their way back up the chart humming a tune about carnal wishes.

Comments