Songoftheday 5/13/12 - I don't hardly know her, but I think I could love her...



Joan Jett & The Blackhearts - "Crimson & Clover"
from the album I Love Rock & Roll (1981)
Billboard Hot 100 peak: #7 (two weeks)
weeks in the top-40: 10

This weeks Song of the Day is the followup to the song that was my first installment in this series, Joan Jett's "I Love Rock & Roll". The former member of the all-woman punk band the Runaways had her second top-10 single with a cover of the 1969 #1 hit by Tommy James & The Shondells, Crimson & Clover. Here's a clip of the original...


Jett took the psychedelic, laid back track, and amped the guitars and vocals alternating being breathy and gritty. And it's totally fucking awesome that she kept the gender intact from the original, signalling her fluid sexuality...


"Crimson & Clover" also hit the top-ten of the rock chart, and would be Jett's last pop top-ten until her label change to CBS records and "I Hate Myself For Loving You" seven years later.

The classic song would go on to be covered by many various stars, like Cher and her son Elijah...


as well as Dolly Parton..




Up tomorrow....the former "Tom and Jerry" take over Central park with a little Everly Brothers...

Comments