Songoftheday 9/16/13 - We had a once in a lifetime but I just couldn't see until it was gone...


Peabo Bryson - "If Ever You're In My Arms Again"
from the album Straight From The Heart (1984)
Billboard Hot 100 peak: #10 (three weeks)
Weeks in the Top-40: 13

Todays song of the day is by soul singer Peabo Bryson, who after years of solid success on R&B radio but rather minor exposure on pop stations got his big break in one of his many duets, this time with Roberta Flack in 1983 with "Tonight I Celebrate My Love", which reached the top-20 on Billboard's Hot 100 pop chart. Using that as a springboard, Peabo recorded his next solo album, Straight From The Heart. The first single, the ballad of love lost and second chances, "If Ever You're In My Arms Again", was co-written and produced by Michael Masser (who had a hand in "Tonight I Celebrate..."), along with Cynthia Weil and Tom Snow. Helping the promotion was its inclusion in the 80s soap opera Santa Barbara. It became his biggest solo success and only solo top-40 single.


"If Ever You're In My Arms Again" reached the pop top-10 in the US for three weeks in August of 1984. It also topped the adult contemporary chart and topped out at #6 on the R&B list in Billboard.

Can you imagine this being sung by Whitney Houston? I sure can. This is one of those songs you don't remember how good it was until you hear it again.

(Click below to see the rest of the post)


..and here's Peabo live in concert in 2001 singing "If Ever You're In My Arms Again" sounding just as smooth...


Up tomorrow: Heavy Metal goes South. America. (well, almost)

Comments