Songoftheday 12/16/17 - Now Romeo you know I can't believe your tongue would slip so easily, I know you think I oughta let it be but get it right next time...

"My Name Is Not Susan" - Whitney Houston
from the album I'm Your Baby Tonight (1990)
Billboard Hot 100 peak: #20 (one week)
Weeks in the Top-40: 6

Today's song of the day is from the late Whitney Houston, whose third album had gifted her a pair of #1 pop hits with the title track "I'm Your Baby Tonight" and "All The Man That I Need", along with a top ten hit in the ballad "Miracle". The fourth single released from the record would be the sassy new jack swing-ish track "My Name Is Not Susan". Produced by the then red-hot team of  L.A. Reid and Babyface and written by Eric Foster White, who was coming off of two big hits with the vocal group Hi-Five, the song had Whitney confronting her lover about a case of mistaken identity. She vamped it up in the music video, doing the "wig trick" to play both women in the scenario. The pop/R&B radio version and the video featured a rap from British artist Monie Love...


"My Name Is Not Susan" became Whitney's fourth top-40 pop hit from I'm Your Baby Tonight in September of 1991. The single climbed up to #8 on Billboard's R&B chart, and crossed over to #44 on their Adult Contemporary (or "easy listening") radio tally. Internationally, the song reached the top-40 in Ireland (#14), Finland (#14), the Netherlands (#28), the UK (#29), and Sweden (#31).

A fifth single from the record, "I Belong To You", had a video that continued the "My Name Is Not Susan" storyline, but while it went to #10 on the R&B chart, the song missed the pop Hot 100 entirely (it did go to #54 in the UK). That was followed by "We Didn't Know", a duet with Stevie Wonder, that peaked at #20 on the R&B list.

(Click below to see the rest of the post)


A version of the song without Monie Love was serviced to easy-listening pop and soul radio stations...


Here she is at the Welcome Home Heroes concert in 1991...


A second alternate version of the song, remixed in a house-inspired mood, eventually made the German charts as well as American dance stations...


And again live on tour in 1994...


Up tomorrow: Athens rock hipsters talk about the glamorous.


Comments