Songoftheday 6/27/17 - From the moment I saw you I went outta my mind, I never believed in love at first sight...

"I'm Your Baby Tonight" - Whitney Houston
from the album I'm Your Baby Tonight (1990)
Billboard Hot 100 peak: #1 (one week)
Weeks in the Top-40: 14

Today's song of the day comes from Whitney Houston, who had landed her tenth consecutive top ten pop hit with her contribution to the 1988 Olympic Games, "One Moment In Time", in the fall of 1988. Her third studio album, coming three years after her #1 smash Whitney, started the new decade with a more urban contemporary sound. The title track, "I'm Your Baby Tonight", was written and produced by the superstar team of Kenny "Babyface" Edmonds (by then an R&B star in his own right) and Antonio "L.A." Reid. The result was a mid-tempo jam that let her relax and vamp with the song without having to go into so many vocal gymnastics. The video had her aping Dietrick, Ross, and Hepburn, complete with "mime dancers" no less...


"I'm Your Baby Tonight" became Whitney's eighth #1 pop hit in December of 1990. The song also topped Billboard's R&B chart for two weeks (her first on this list since "How Will I Know" from her debut), while crossing over to their Adult Contemporary (or "easy listening") radio list at #7. The house music remix, done by Yvonne Turner and promoted as the official single mix in Europe, climbed to #17 on the American Dance Club Play chart as well. Internationally, the record topped the singles chart in Italy, and reached the top five in Canada (#2), the Netherlands (#2), Belgium (#2), Finland (#2), Austria (#3), Norway (#3), France (#4), Sweden (#4), Switzerland (#4), Germany (#5), and the UK (#5). "I'm Your Baby Tonight" was nominated for a Grammy Award in 1991 for Female Pop Vocal Performance, losing out to Mariah Carey's "Vision Of Love".

(Click below to see the rest of the post)


First up, Whitney appeared on the Arsenio Hall show to promote the single in 1990...




Here's the "European Remix" that hit international shore, remixes by Yvonne Turner...


...and here's Whitney live in concert in 1991...


From 2015 here's a cover from acappella group Duwende that I treasure...


Lastly, I go back to Whitney from her stint on the American Music Awards where she combined "I'm Your Baby Tonight" and "My Name Is Not Susan" in a medley...


Up tomorrow: Reggae band channels some Motown for a tempting top ten treat.

Comments