Songoftheday 5/9/23 - Under an old brass paperweight is my list of things to do today, go to the bank and the hardware store put a new lock on the cellar door...

 
"My List" - Toby Keith
from the album Pull My Chain (2001)
Billboard Hot 100 peak: #26 (one week)
Weeks in the Top-40: 9
 
Today's song comes from singer/songwriter Toby Keith, whose sixth studio album Pull My Chain had already spun off a pair of #1 country radio hits that also crossed over to the top-40 on Billboard magazine's Hot 100 with "I'm Just Talkin' About Tonight" and "I Wanna Talk About Me". The third and final single from the record would be the "pensive" ballad "My List". Written by Rand Bishop and Tim James, the song is delivered in the perspective of a man who is reassessing his priorities. It details how he changes to enjoying his life and family over his responsibilities, which is rather naive (I mean, sure, take time with your kids, but letting your house go in the meantime?). Although the song was recorded in the spring of 2001, by the time of the release to radio of this track the heaviness of 9/11 loomed tall, and the song took on a whole new meaning for the masses to grab on to, and made this the highest-charting song from the album (by a notch). The music video drag in the 9/11 aspect in its plot, for better or worse...


"My List" was the third top-40 Hot 100 hit from Pull My Chain in May of 2002. On the radio, the song spent five weeks at #1 on Billboard's Country Songs chart. 

Toby will be back to the series.

(4/10)

Up tomorrow: Alliterate country singer respires. 



 

Comments