Songoftheday 11/25/17 - Little lady you look so fine can't turn my eyes away, so much I want to say and Tonight I want to make you mine...

"I Can't Wait Another Minute" - Hi-Five
from the album Hi-Five (1990)
Billboard Hot 100 peak: #8 (one week)
Weeks in the Top-40: 13

Today's song of the day comes from Hi-Five, a five-member soul vocal group led by singer Tony Thompson. Their self-titled debut album had spun off a top ten R&B hit with "I Just Can't Handle It", which was followed by their pop breakthrough, "I Like The Way (The Kissing Game)", which reached #1 on both the pop Hot 100 and R&B charts in Billboard. The third single released from the album was the smooth love ballad "I Can't Wait Another Minute". Written and produced by Eric Foster White (Whitney Houston's "My Name Is Not Susan"), the sweet lyrics and slow-dance vibe gave them another winner with mainstream radio stations playing After 7, Babyface, and the New Edition clan...


"I Can't Wait Another Minute" became Hi-Five's second top ten pop hit in August of 1991. The song was their second (and last) to top Billboard's R&B chart, and crossed over to be their biggest success on the Adult Contemporary (or "easy listening") format at #30.

A fourth single from Hi-Five, "Just Another Girlfriend",  just missed the R&B top-40 at #41, and skimmed the bottom of the pop Hot 100 at #88.

(Click below to see the rest of the post)


Here's the group performing on Live At The Apollo promoting the album...


Up tomorrow: America gets introduced to the Ancients of Mu Mu at a godawful hour.


Comments