Songoftheday 5/20/17 - Put on your red dress and slip on your high heels, and some of that sweet perfume it sure smells good on you...

"My, My, My" - Johnny Gill
from the album Johnny Gill (1990)
Billboard Hot 100 peak: #10 (one week)
Weeks in the Top-40: 10

Today's song of the day comes from soul singer Johnny Gill, whose first solo single after going on hiatus from New Edition, "Rub You The Right Way", climbed all the way to #1 on the R&B chart and #3 on the pop Hot 100 in the summer of 1990. The follow-up single would be the smooth love ballad "My, My, My", written by produced by Babyface and L.A. Reid, and it does sound like it would perfectly fit on the former's own solo albums...


"My, My, My" became Gill's second and so-far most recent top ten solo pop hit in September of 1990. The song followed "Rub You..." to #1 on the R&B chart, where it stayed for two weeks (his best). It also crossed over to Billboard's Adult Contemporary (or "easy listening") chart, peaking at #32. Internationally, the track slipped on to the British chart at #89, while going to #26 in the Netherlands. The single was nominated for a Grammy Award for best R&B song in 1991, losing out to MC Hammer's "U Can't Touch This".

(Click below to see the rest of the post)


Johnny performed the song on the Arsenio Hall show to promote the album...


...and here's Johnny performing the song live at an awards show more recently...


Up tomorrow: British pop god is on the road to paradise.

Comments