Songoftheday 09/13/24 - I was sittin' in traffic for the fifth year in a row, wastin' my time just to get where I don't even wanna go...

 
"I Wanna Do It All" - Terri Clark
from the album Pain To Kill (2003)
Billboard Hot 100 peak: #38 (two weeks)
Weeks in the Top-40: 2
 
Today's song comes from Canadian country artist Terri Clark, who scored a second crossover top-40 hit on Billboard magazine's Hot 100 with "I Just Wanna Be Mad". That song came from Terri's fifth studio album on Mercury Nashville Records, Pain To Kill, and would be her highest-charting single. The follow-up from the set was the physical single's "flip-side", the relationship drama of "Three Mississippi", which was a modest country radio hit at #30, and missed the Hot 100 altogether. (It deserved better.)

For the third release from Pain To Kill, Terri went back to having fun with "I Wanna Do It All". Written by Rick Giles, Gilles Godard, and Tim Nichols, the lyrics find Clark in traffic to a job she loathes, and while she's stuck there she compiles a bucket list of the things she'd rather be doing. Besides the expected Paris and Tijuana trips, she poignantly notes that..

"I wanna get my heart broke once or twiceSettle down with the love of my lifeRock little babies to sleep at night."
 
The production from Byron Gallimore (Tim McGraw's go-to and the producer of yesterday's SOTD) is rollicking and guitar-heavy, but the fiddle still sneaks through at times. Terri's delivery is effortless and shines in the harmonies, and relays the carefree attitude of the song nicely. In return Terri rebounded on the radio...
 

 "I Wanna Do It All" slipped into the top-40 on Billboard's Hot 100 in February of 2004. On the radio, the song spent a week at #3 on the Country Songs airplay chart. 

Terri will be back to the series.

(6/10)

(Click below to see the rest of the post)

Here's Clark performing the song on Tour in 2003...


Tomorrow I'll run down my top hits of this week, then on Monday Song of the day will be back with a pop-rock band identifying a particular romance.

 

Comments