I keep looking for something I can't get, broken hearts lie all around me...

Even for those alive in 1987 who forget Cutting Crew can sing along to the chorus of "I just dye-yeeed in your arms tonight". That song was ubiquitous to that year's progression from new wave greatness to pop-rock drivel. However, the band's Broadcast album was a little of an overlooked gem. Coming from the crossroads of big-sounding rock like Bryan Adams-land and new wave-ish fey-ness like the Icicle Works, the album actually sounds less dated than similar albums released around the time (Honeymoon Suite, anyone?).

"Any Colour" is a good opening anthem, with busy guitars and synths overlaying a soaring theme of love found. After that comes two of the hit singles, the bizarrely cool "One For The Mockingbird", which pulls the mid-80's "somehow I'm on some kind of adventure song", and the by-numbers ballad "I've Been In Love Before", which sound good as long as you don't pay too much attention to the almost-banal lyrics. "(I Just) Died In Your Arms" of course is the highlight of the record, with its catchy hook and cool tone. And remarkably most of the non-single tracks being just as listenable, save for a couple passover tracks near the end. For 80s music fans, seeking Broadcast out is worth it.

Grade: B-
Best Cuts:
"(I Just) Died In Your Arms", "One For The Mockingbird"
Weakest Links: "Sahara", "It Shouldn't Take Long"

Broadcast hit #16 pop albums in the US and #41 in the UK.
"(I Just) Died In Your Arms" hit #1 pop, #37 dance club play, #4 mainstream rock, #29 adult contemporary, and #4 in the UK.
"One For The Mockingbird" hit #38 pop, #29 mainstream rock, and #52 in the UK.
"I've Been In Love Before" made #9 pop, #2 adult contemporary, and #24 in the UK.

.
And here's the video for "(I Just) Died In Your Arms"...

Comments