Still so much for me to do, and I can't stop from loving you...


I bought this when Glass Tiger were on Hit Me Baby One More Time, a Where Are They Now meets colosseum lion match where bands and singers get brought back from whatever obscurity they fallen into to compete against each other by tricking out one of their old songs and performing a new one. Let me put it this way, they were beat by Thelma Houston. "Dont Leave Me This Way" Thelma Houston. However, as carnie show as it seemed, it WAS intriguing to see bands fight for their past glory (I mean Wang Chung doing Nelly!) so I was hooked.

Now the only Glass Tiger I, and probably almost everyone else who DID, had a cassette of their Thin Red Line album. No Turning Back, their greatest hits collection, contains 5 of the 11 songs from that album, as well as 4 songs from their follow-up, Diamond Sun. Starting the disc off are two new songs, "No Turning Back" and "Give It Away", which aren't bad. Good start. Then the five Thin Red Line songs. "Don't Forget Me (When I'm Gone)" was good for that time, still sounding very very 1986, with Bryan Adams wailing his approval in the background. "Someday" was the followup, a pre-power ballad song that is better when you don't actually listen to the words. The best song on here is "The Thin Red Line" itself, which sound like what would happen if Big Country were Canadian. In fact, the whole disc sounds over-Canadian. I mean, Neil Young and Joni Mitchell already proved the Great White North isn't totally soulless, though some of the pristineness on the songs here would tend you to believe otherwise. I guess the worst it "My Town", where Glass Tiger and Rod Stewart seem to be going through the motions (though I've got to admit it did hit top 40 in England, so you've got to hand it to them there). Unfortunately I felt unmoved by anything past the Thin Red Line songs save the two new ones. Since this album has all their Canadian singles, it does provide a complete picture of their career. As for listening, you'd probably be happier getting the big singles on a compilation or pick up Thin Red Line.

Grade: C-
Best cuts: "Someday", "Thin Red Line"

Comments

Anonymous said…
I'm impressed with your site, very nice graphics!
»
Anonymous said…
Greets to the webmaster of this wonderful site. Keep working. Thank you.
»