Songoftheday 7/1/18 - Your reputation caught my attention, I just can't help myself I want nobody else...

"I Wanna Love You" - Jade
from the albums Class Act (Original Soundtrack) and Jade To The Max (1992)
Billboard Hot 100 peak: #16 (one week)
Weeks in the Top-40: 13

Today's song of the day comes from the R&B vocal group Jade, who were originally put together by producer Vassal Benford (Toni Braxton) for a song he was recording for the soundtrack to the Kid N' Play movie Class Act. Original member Joi Marshall solely remained after a lineup shuffle that brought on Tonya Kelly and Di Reed for the production of their debut single "I Wanna Love You". Written by Benford with Ronald Spearman, the new jack swing record (which had more than a passing resemblance to Color Me Badd's "I Wanna Sex You Up") got them their first hit off the bat...


"I Wanna Love You" became Jade's first top-40 pop hit in the US in October of 1992. The song also climbed all the way to #7 on Billboard's R&B chart. Internationally, the single went to #13 in the UK (as their second single), #30 in Ireland (ditto), #24 in New Zealand, and #69 in Canada.

(Click below to see the rest of the post)


And here's Jade performing on Soul Train...


Up tomorrow: Another movie hit, this time the debut of the other of Benford's vocal vessels.

Comments