Songoftheday 11/5/17 - Time and time again my girlfriends ask me if we're just friends, and when I tell them that it is true deep down inside I just want to be with you...

"Piece Of My Heart" - Tara Kemp
from the album Tara Kemp (1990)
Billboard Hot 100 peak: #7 (two weeks)
Weeks in the Top-40: 11

Today's song of the day comes from soul/dance singer Tara Kemp, who landed a top-3 pop hit with her debut single, "Hold You Tight", in the spring of 1991. Her next single, "Piece Of My Heart", followed the same sultry Soul II Soul-ish beat, upping the tempo just a notch but still focusing on Tara's vocals. Kemp wrote the song with producers Jake Smith and Tuhin Roy...


"Piece Of My Heart" became Tara's second and final top-40 pop hit, reaching the top ten in July of 1991. The song also crossed over to Billboard's R&B chart, peaking at #47. It was also a minor hit in Canada at #81.

A third release from her debut, the quiet storm ballad "Too Much", skimmed the pop Hot 100 chart at #95. Unfortunately, her record company folded by the time she was ready for a second album, and hasn't released an album since her debut, though she is now working on new music.

(Click below to see the rest of the post)


Here's Tara appearing on TV to promote the single...


Up tomorrow: A rhythmic producer introduces a sexy sax player from Holland.

Comments