Robbed hit of the week 5/15/17 - Troop's "All I Do Is Think Of You"...

"All I Do Is Think Of You" - Troop
from the album Attitude (1989)
Billboard Hot 100 peak: #47

This week's "robbed hit" comes from the R&B vocal group Troop, who grew up together in Pasadena, first got noticed by lipsynching on the short-lived show "Puttin' On The Hits". They released their self-titled debut album in 1988, with the first single, "Mamacita", climbing all the way to #2 on Billboard's R&B chart. A second top ten R&B hit followed with "My Heart", but neither of them made any appearance on the pop chart, as the new jack swing genre was just starting to get mainstream attention. A year later, the band put out their sophomore effort, Attitude, with the lead single, "I'm Not Soupped" (a nod to Bobby Brown's "My Prerogative"), getting to #19 on the soul list. But by now, new jack swing had risen to eclipse Latin freestyle as the dance music king of the moment, and their next release, "Spread My Wings", went to #1 on Billboard's R&B list for two weeks in April of 1990. To work on this success, Troop rolled out their cover of a song from the Jackson 5 at the close of their Motown career. "All I Do Is Think Of You", written by Motown great Brian Holland along with Michael Lovesmith, was a B-side that got enough radio play to make it to #50 on Billboard's R&B chart in 1975...


Troop's version of the love ballad made the song more sonically dramatic, but kept the sweet anticipation in their vocals...


While Troop's version of "All I Do Is Think Of You" landed the group their second #1 R&B hit, and ended up being their biggest pop success, it stalled just under the top-40 in August of 1990. Two more singles were released from the album; "That's My Attitude", co-written by Gerald Levert and engineered by future Nine Inch Nail Trent Reznor, climbed to #14 on the soul chart, while "I Will Always Love You", co-written by Dallas Austin, peaked at #31.

In 1992, Troop came out with their third record, Deepa, and two of the cuts reaching the pop charts, with "Sweet November" hitting #58 after topping the R&B chart. Leaving their record label Atlantic, the group had a couple more minor R&B hits, the last being "The Way I Parlay" in 1998 (#65 R&B), before splitting up by the end of the decade.

(Click below to see the rest of the post)


And here's Troop performing the song live on Arsenio Hall...


Comments

John said…
I've said this before and I'll say it again: Troop should have been massively huge, and both "Spread My Wings" and "All I Do Is Think of You" should have both been pop #1 records. If you haven't seen the Unsung on Troop, it's definitely worth the hour to watch.