7 of the 70s: 1/9/14 (1974)...


I'm ready to bring back another 70s throwback, and this week I'm back to 1974, the year the Ethiopian Civil War began, deposing Emperor Haile Selassie. (I've included links to buy anything on CD or MP3 when I can)...

Barbra Streisand - "The Way We Were
from the album The Way We Were (1974)
Billboard Hot 100 peak: #1
Songwriters: Alan Bergman, Marilyn Bergman, Marvin Hamlisch


The biggest song of the year came from the movie Barbra filmed with Robert Redford, which rewarded her with both an Academy Award and a Golden Globe.

(Click below to see the rest of the post)


Gladys Knight & The Pips - "Best Thing That Ever Happened To Me"from the album Imagination (1973)
Billboard Hot 100 peak: #3
Songwriter: Jim Weatherly


Gladys took this country hit for Ray Price to church as the third consecutive top-ten pop hit from their classic Imagination album.

Blue Swede - "Never My Love"
from the album Hooked On A Feeling (1973)
Billboard Hot 100 peak: #7
Songwriters: Dick and Don Addrisi


The Swedish pop band that wasn't ABBA had their second top-ten cover of a previous hit came with this upbeat version of one of my favorite records of all-time by the Association.

Carpenters - "I Won't Last A Day Without You"
from the album A Song For You (1972)
Billboard Hot 100 peak: #11
Songwriters: Roger Nichols, Paul Williams


There are quite a few songs from the duo that put me in tears, but nothing like this song that Karen just wrung every ounce of emotion flawlessly.

Spinners - "I'm Coming Home"
from the album Mighty Love (1974)
Billboard Hot 100 peak: #18
Songwriters: Thom Bell, Linda Creed


The vocal group put some funk in a track originally done by Johnny Mathis and took it to the top-20.

Charlie Rich - "I Love My Friend"
from the album The Silver Fox (1975)
Billboard Hot 100 peak: #24
Songwriters: Billy Sherrill, Norro Wilson


One of the singer's chart-topping country hits also got some play on pop radio who identified with his tale of emotion and yearning.

Billy Paul - "Thanks For Saving My Life"
from the album War Of The Gods (1973)
Billboard Hot 100 peak: #37
Songwriters: Kenny Gamble, Leon Huff


 The man behind "Me And Mrs. Jones" returned to the top-40 with this sweet note of appreciation to his loved one.

I'll return later with 8 more from 1984...



Comments