Songoftheday 12/28/13 - I'm not a woman I'm not a man, I am something that you'll never understand...


Prince and the Revolution - "I Would Die 4 U"
from the album Purple Rain (Original Soundtrack) (1984)
Billboard Hot 100 peak: #8 (one week)
Weeks in the Top-40: 10

Today's Song of the Day is Prince's fourth single from his landmark album Purple Rain. After reaching the top of the pop charts with both "When Doves Cry" and "Let's Go Crazy", and then making it to the runner-up spot with the title track, Prince released the love jam "I Would Die 4 U" to radio. With percussionist Sheila E. and her band on backup, the song was one of his concert staples...


"I Would Die 4 U" went to the top-10 on the American pop chart in February of 1985, while just missing it at #11 on the R&B format. It also was a minor dance hit at #50. Internationally, the single went to #7 in Holland, and #12 in Canada, but stalled in the lower half of the British chart at #58.

Up tomorrow: He says he's never gonna dance again. He lied.

Comments