Songoftheday 12/12/13 - Kissin' you is not what I had planned, and now I'm not so sure just where I stand...


Jack Wagner - "All I Need"
from the album All I Need (1984)
Billboard Hot 100 peak: #2 (two weeks)
Weeks in the Top-40: 12

Today's Song of the Day was the second by a starring cast member of the long-running ABC-TV soap opera General Hospital. After Rick Springfield (Dr. Noah Drake), successfully revived his career with a stint on the show, another actor, Jack Wagner, who played Frisco Jones on the show, used it as a platform to launch his own singing career, and released his debut album one year into his tenure on the program. The title track from it, "All I Need", was written by studio genius Glen Ballard along with Cliff Magness and David Pack (the former lead singer from Ambrosia), and produced by David Foster with Ballard, and released on Quincy Jones' Qwest label. With all that firepower and exposure from the show, it was only natural for Jack to land a radio hit....


"All I Need" became a top-10 pop single for Wagner in January of 1985, while topping the adult-contemporary format for two weeks. It would be his sole moment in the pop top-40, though she had a few more minor hits in the latter half of the 80s, ending with "Weatherman Says" in 1987. He would continue on General Hospital in three stints ending in 1995, while also becoming part of the cast of Melrose Place on primetime TV in the 90s as well.

(Click below to see the rest of the post)


Here's Jack's original performance of "All I Need" on General Hospital in 1984...


...and again from the same year on Solid Gold...


When Jack rejoined the cast of General Hospital for its 50th anniversary year, of course he had to reprise the song...


...and finally, Filipino band Shamrock covered "All I Need" for a nationally-released movie My Best Friend's Girlfriend...


Up tomorrow: a Grammy magnet of a band becomes a newbie in the village.


Comments