8 of the 80s: 12/5/13 (1982)...


80's throwback time is here, and this week I'm serving up eight more nuggets from 1982, the year Barney Clark received the first artificial heart, extending his life for almost four more months. (I've included links to buy anything on MP3 or CD when I can)..

Alabama - "Love In The First Degree"
from the album Alabama (Feels So Right) (1981)
Billboard Hot 100 peak: #15
Songwriters: Tim DuBois, Jim Hurt


The harmonies on their second top-20 pop hit made my tween heart melt, like sugar to Honey Boo Boo.

(Click below to see the rest of the post)


Eddie Rabbitt - "Someone Could Lose A Heart Tonight"
from the album Step By Step (1981)
Billboard Hot 100 peak: #15
Songwriters: David Malloy, Eddie Rabbitt, Even Stevens


I believe Eddie was trying to go "edgy" with this record straddling the rock and country radio worlds.

Barry Manilow - "Somewhere Down The Road"
from the album If I Should Love Again (1981)
Billboard Hot 100 peak: #21
Songwriters: Tom Snow, Cynthia Weil


Barry may have sang that "I Write The Songs", but Clive Davis picked this song out for him, and I approve the selection.

Neil Diamond - "On The Way To The Sky"
from the album On The Way To The Sky (1981)
Billboard Hot 100 peak: #27
Songwriters: Neil Diamond, Carole Bayer Sager


Neil's transition away from being a pop star to an easy-listening standard-holder came with this album, and the waltz of the title track was appropriately nostalgic..

Lulu - "If I Were You"
from the album Lulu (1981)
Billboard Hot 100 peak: #44
Songwriters: Jerry Fuller, John Hobbs



The Scottish singer who crowned 1967 with "To Sir With Love" had her last Hot 100 hit with this sweet lite-FM-style record.

Charlene & Stevie Wonder - "Used To Be"
from the album Used To Be (1982)
Billboard Hot 100 peak: #46
Songwriters: Ken Hirsch, Ron Miller


The power of the biggest hitmaker in Motown couldn't save this record from missing the top-40 for the woman who had "never been to me"...

Jon & Vangelis - "I'll Find My Way Home"
from the album Friends Of Mr. Cairo (1981)
Billboard Hot 100 peak: #51
Songwriters: Jon Anderson, Vangelis


The lead singer of progressive rock kings Yes paired up with Greek electronica artist and composer Vangelis for a spaced-out proto newage single that came a month after the latter's "Chariots Of Fire" triumph.

The Carpenters - "Those Good Old Dreams"
from the album Made In America (1981)
Billboard Hot 100 peak: #63
Songwriters: John Bettis, Richard Carpenter


This was a standard in my two-stepping days as Karen's timeless voice floated above the countrypolitan setting. It's really sad though to actually see her at this state, though.


That's all for this week's 80s trip...I'll return tomorrow with another Song of the Day and my top 100 tunes for the week. Be well...

Comments