Robbed Hit of the Week 5/6/13: Jennifer Holliday's "I Am Love"...


Jennifer Holliday - "I Am Love"
from the album Feel My Soul (1983)
Billboard Hot 100 peak: #49

This week's "robbed hit" is by powerhouse vocalist Jennifer Holliday, who turned her starring role in the Broadway hit Dreamgirls into a top-40 hit with the Grammy and Tony winning "And I Am Telling You I'm Not Going". That led to a recording contract with Geffen Records, and her debut solo album Feel My Soul at the close of 1983. The first single from that album was another dramatic ballad with "I Am Love", co-written and produced by Earth, Wind, & Fire leader Maurice White...


(Click below to see the rest of the post)


While "I Am Love" went as high as #2 on the R&B chart at Thanksgiving-time in America, the single stalled below the top-40 in the pop chart. She would go on to have another top-10 soul hit in 1991 with "I'm On Your Side".

...and here is Jennifer performing "I Am Love" live...




Comments