8 of the 80s: 2/7/13...


Hey gang, I'm back with another 8 nuggets from the 80s, and this time out I'm back to 1985, the year of Live Aid.

Linda Ronstadt - "Skylark"
from the album Lush Life (1984)
Billboard peak: #101


As a teenager, I worshiped Linda's trio of standards covers, which set the mold for dozens of washed-up rockers to get a quick buck later on (I'm lookin' at you, Rod). Her voice was transcendent on this classic.

(Click below to see the rest of the post)


Force M.D.'s - "Tears"
from the album Love Letters (1984)
Billboard peak: #102


This Staten Island neo-doo-wop group predated Boyz II Men by eight years, but without the huge success. Still, a welcome flashback.

Shannon - "Stronger Together"
from the album Do You Wanna Get Away (1985)
Billboard peak: #103


The singer who brought us "Let The Music Play" kept it going in the clubs with this jam.

Whodini - "The Freaks Come Out At Night"
from the album Escape (1984)
Billboard peak: #104


Escape was one of the first big rap albums I was aware of, and bought over at the Listening Booth in the Quaker Bridge Mall. Damn, I was cool (HAHAHAHAHAHA).

Talking Heads - "Road To Nowhere"
from the album Little Creatures (1985)
Billboard peak: #105


Admission: Little Creatures is by far my favorite Talking Heads albums. Amazingly fun listen end to end. So there, hipsters.

Rick James - "Glow"
from the album Glow (1985)
Billboard peak: #106


Ah, Rick. Blonde, blonde Rick. "I'm Rick James!". Knowing what we know now, this is actually kind of scary.

The Weather Girls - "Well-A-Wiggy"
from the album Big Girls Don't Cry (1985)
Billboard peak: #107


I totally forgot about this. Holy crap this is why I love the 80s.

New Order - "The Perfect Kiss"
from the album Low-Life (1985)
Billboard peak: #109


We end with one of my favorite songs of the year, the song my senior-year-self wanted to fall in love to. Didn't happen. Should be the theme song to Shameless.

That does it for tonight...I'll be back tomorrow with another Song of the Day, candletime, and my top-100 tunes for the week. Good night!

Comments