8 of the 80s: 11/29/12...


I'm back with eight (well, nine) more nuggets from the mighty eighties, and this week it's back to 1988, the year Sonny Bono is elected mayor of Palm Springs, California...

Depeche Mode - "Route 66/Behind The Wheel"
from the album Music For The Masses (1987)
Billboard Hot 100 peak: #61




This double-shot single from my favorite band of all time totals up the pinnacle of any road trip mix. Come along?

(Click below to see the rest of the post)


New Order - "Blue Monday 1988"
from the album Brotherhood (Collector's Edition) (2008)
Billboard Hot 100 peak: #68


One of the coolest emo-dance anthems that ever was gets a revamp and a better reception in the States.


Underworld - "Underneath The Radar"
from the album Underneath The Radar (1988)
Billboard Hot 100 peak: #74


Welcome to dubstep and electronica's trilobite. This was from the time when both Underworld and Ministry were somewhat accessible.


The Alarm - "Presence Of Love"
from the album Eye Of The Hurricane (1987)
Billboard Hot 100 peak: #77


Wales' answer to U2, Mike Peters and the boys had a stab at a big pop song with this song that reminds me of Lone Justice in a good way.


Bros - "When Will I Be Famous"
from the album Push (1988)
Billboard Hot 100 peak: #83


Twin brothers Matt and Luke Goss have gone on to success way outshining this song, with the former a Vegas A-list star and the latter an actor in many sci-fi films...


Book of Love - "Pretty Boys And Pretty Girls"
from the album Lullaby (1988)
Billboard Hot 100 peak: #90


Whenever I needed "space" in college, I'd blast this from the stereo in my dorm room. That seemed to convey the message. LOVE. THIS.


Paul Carrack - "Button Of My Shirt"
from the album One Good Reason (1987)
Billboard Hot 100 peak: #91


One of the more obscure "crushes" I had before I was legal drinking age was Squeeze's journeyman Paul Carrack. This song also was covered by Ronnie Milsap, equally well...


The Adventures - "Broken Land"
from the album Sea Of Love (1988)
Billboard Hot 100 peak: #95


Northern Irish rockers have a sublime hidden nugget that I never get tired of. Like the gentle flute in the background...

That's it for tonight....Thanks for dropping by, and I'll return tomorrow with another Song of the Day, candletime, and my top-100 songs of the week. Cheers!

Comments