8 of the 80s: 11/22/12...






Hey gang, Happy (American) Thanksgiving, it's time to trot out eight more nuggets from the 80s, and this time I'm back in 1987, the year of the Iran-Contra scandal in the White House...

Five Star - "If I Say Yes"
from the album Silk & Steel (1986)
Billboard Hot 100 peak: #67


You cannot imagine how much I was obsessed about this British family group. I loved them, have every album of theirs, even the crazy Japan-only ones...

(Click below to see the rest of the post)


Terence Trent D'Arby - "If You Let Me Stay"
from the album Introducing The Hardline According To Terence Trent D'Arby (1987)
Billboard Hot 100 peak: #68


Another one of those British imports I bought the week it came out in the States, then thought no one would catch on. Then "Wishing Well" happened.

The Nylons - "Happy Together"
from the album Happy Together (1987)
Billboard Hot 100 peak: #75


Toronto-based a cappella masters before the whole Glee thing caught on...


Def Leppard - "Women"
from the album Hysteria (1987)
Billboard Hot 100 peak: #80


Incredibly, this song, the first single from the mega mega hit album Hysteria, was a relative flop, but thank goodness they were persistent.


Jellybean featuring Steven Dante - "The Real Thing"
from the album Just Visiting This Planet (1987)
Billboard Hot 100 peak: #82


Madonna's mentor is in the house; house music that is...

Starpoint - "He Wants My Body"
from the album Sensational (1987)
Billboard Hot 100 peak: #89


Lord, do I miss the age of the BIG R&B collective funk groups.


 Chicago - "Niagara Falls"
from the album Chicago 18 (1986)
Billboard Hot 100 peak: #91


 Veteran jazz-rockers bring on the horns and harmonies in this obscure nugget that is one of my fave Foster productions...


KTP - "Certain Things Are Likely"
from the album Certain Things Are Likely (1986)
Billboard Hot 100 peak: #97


British group sanitized from their original name Kissing The Pink were all over the clubs with this record in 1987.

Well that does it for this week's 80s flashback. Thanks for dropping by, and I'll be back tomorrow with another Song of the Day, candletime, and my top-100 tunes for the week. Cheers!


Comments

John said…
I would say I'm surprised that you were as obsessed with Five Star as I was, but I know better by now. Silk and Steel deserved to be so much bigger here in the US. Really stunned that "If You Let Me Stay" wasn't bigger, as I played the heck out of that originally.
twostepcub said…
I guess it helped that I didn't know how lugnut crazy the were then (pre-internet)...it was fun seeing Denise try again on the Voice UK this year.
Ben said…
Love Five Star. I remember when they were in Star Hits magazine and they visited Disneyland. Apparently they really loved Disneyland popcorn.
Ben said…
Love Five Star. I remember when they were in Star Hits magazine and visited Disneyland. Apparently they were really into Disneyland popcorn.
Ben said…
Oh yes put Starpoint on and my ass has got to groove. Especially with "Restless".