8 of the 80s: 10/17/12...


Hey gang, it's time again for this week's trip back to the 80's, and this time it's another look back at 1982, the year Claus von Bulow was convicted of murdering his wife, one of that year's big TV trials.


Quarterflash - "Harden My Heart"
from the album Quarterflash (1981)
Billboard Hot 100 peak: #3


The saxophone was big in 1982, and no more than in the first hit by the Seattle rockers originally called Seafood Mama.

(Click below to see the rest of the post)


Lindsey Buckingham - "Trouble"
from the album Law And Order (1981)
Billboard Hot 100 peak: #9


Fleetwood Maccer goes solo with this soft-rock understated nugget with a clip that has cameos by Tom Petty and Jimmy Iovine.


The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra - "Hooked On Classics"
from the album Hooked On Classics (1981)
Billboard Hot 100 peak: #10


The final classical work to make the top-10, albeit with the "Stars on 45"-style backbeat purists cringed at, and inspired medleys in swing, big bands, jazz, and country.


Paul Davis - "Cool Night"
from the album Cool Night (1981)
Billboard Hot 100 peak: #11


Soft-rock star with a Easy-101 radio staple. Perfect booty-call music.


Sister Sledge - "My Guy"
from the album The Sisters (1982)
Billboard Hot 100 peak: #23


The disco siblings get their last American top-40 hit with their remake of the sunny 60s Mary Wells track.


ABBA - "When All Is Said And Done"
from the album The Visitors (1981)
Billboard Hot 100 peak: #27


The Swedes' crowning musical achievement, with all their emotions laid bare from the dissolution of two interband marriages - like a Euro"Rumours"....


David Lasley - "If I Had My Wish Tonight"
from the album Missin' Twenty Grand (1982)
Billboard Hot 100 peak: #36


One of the great "lost" top-40 hits of the early 80s. Lasley has a falsetto to die for, and he's used it as a backup vocalist for greats like Anita Baker and Aretha Franklin.


Irene Cara - "Anyone Can See" 
from the album Anyone Can See (1982)
Billboard Hot 100 peak: #42


Irene's post-Fame and pre-Flashdance minor hit deserved better, but the public wasn't ready for a ballad from her, I guess...

Well that wraps it up for this week's 80s flashback...thanks for dropping by, and stay tuned tomorrow for another Song of the Day, Candletime, and my top-100 tunes for the week. Cheers!

Comments

John said…
I almost blasted past this post, but I'm so glad I didn't. I LOVED LOVED LOVED that David Lasley track! Weird how obscure songs like that instantly come back to you, but I'm so glad you posted. I remember it coming up on the American Top 40 for a few weeks, and I was rooting for it to go further. Glad to hear he kept working after that.
twostepcub said…
Thanks, John. I adored Lasley as well..and I promised myself to search for his record at the used shop next time I go (I only have the 7" single now)