8 of the 80s: 9/20/12...


Good evening, everyone, and welcome back to my trip back to the land of padded shoulders and legwarmers. This week it's eight nuggets from 1989, serial killer Ted Bundy (not to be confused with the lovable oaf from Married With Children) was executed in Florida. (I've included links to buy the featured tunes on Amazonmp3...)

New Order - "Round & Round"
from the album Technique (1989)
Billboard Hot 100 peak: #64


New Order's scathing attack on their record label head was so good he released it as a single over their objections, getting the last laugh...I'm glad he did.

(Click below to read the rest of the post)


Bardeux - "I Love To Bass" 
from the album Shangri-La (1989)
Billboard Hot 100 peak: #68


I've got a rocket in my pocket for this jam. Should have totally killed it on the radio.


The Outfield - "My Paradise"
from the album Voices Of Babylon (1989)
Billboard Hot 100 peak: #72


My love for these power-pop geniuses went far beyond their big hits. They just got better and better. Video is admittedly very cheesy though, that didn't help.


Inner City - "Good Life"
from the album Paradise (1989)
Billboard Hot 100 peak: #73


Kevin Saunderson and Paris Grey defined house music with their Paradise album, which I bought and played incessantly. Still reminds me of clubbing in Chicago in the late 80s.


Pet Shop Boys - "Left To My Own Devices
from the album Introspective (1988)
Billboard Hot 100 peak: #84


From their stopgap 1988 album comes my all-time favorite PSB song, balancing the dancebeats, orchestral flourishes, and witty banter with the crescendo that sent me into (mental, not pharmeceutical) ecstasy in the club.


Donna Summer - "Love's About To Change My Heart"
from the album Another Place And Time (1989)
Billboard Hot 100 peak: #85



The queen of disco gets the Stock-Aitken-Waterman wall of sound treatment, and I ate up every minute of it. I sincerely thought every song on her album could be a radio hit. Why the hell is this not re-released! Get on it, record company people!


Melissa Etheridge - "Similar Features"
from the album Melissa Etheridge (1988)
Billboard Hot 100 peak: #94


I love my Etheridge angry. And here she's bitter as a lemon.


Erasure - "Stop!"
from the EP Crackers International (1988)
Billboard Hot 100 peak: #97


Another all-time favorite band, with a tasty nugget from a Christmas bonus EP that was just as good as their rest.

Well, that does it for this week. Thanks so much for coming, and the 80s flashback post will return in two weeks to synch up with my 60s and 70s sets. And tomorrow I'll have another Song of the Day, candletime, and my top-100 tunes for the week. Till then, party on!

Comments