8 of the 80s: 9/13/12...






It's time for this week's 80's flashback, and for this installment I've got eight nuggets from 1988, the year Sonny Bono was elected mayor of Palm Springs, California.

The Kane Gang - "Don't Look Any Further"
from the album Miracle (1987)
Billboard Hot 100 peak: #64


The smooth soul track from former Temptation Dennis Edwards gets a Brit rework by this producing/writing team's act.

(Click below to see the rest of the post)


Earth, Wind & Fire - "Thinking Of You"
from the album Touch The World (1987)
Billboard Hot 100 peak: #67


Veteran R&B group somehow now remind me of the Black Eyed Peas in this very pop-hook-inflected number with an Asian twist...


Toni Childs - "Don't Walk Away"
from the album Union (1988)
Billboard Hot 100 peak: #72


It was criminal that this didn't make the top-40. I blame her non-flashy appearance that unfortunately the late 80s despised. This really brings Adele's "Rolling In The Deep" to my mind...


10,000 Maniacs - "What's The Matter Here?"
from the album In My Tribe (1987)
Billboard Hot 100 peak: #80


Natalie and the boys' In My Tribe remains one of my all-time favorite albums, and was a constant in my DiscMan in Chicago when this was out.


Donald Fagen - "Century's End"
from the album Bright Lights, Big City (Original Soundtrack) (1988)
Billboard Hot 100 peak: #83


From a movie I don't remember at all, but a soundtrack I worshipped, including New Order, Depeche Mode, and this suave Steely Dan redux.


Icehouse - "My Obsession"
from the album Man Of Colours (1987)
Billboard Hot 100 peak: #88


Australia's pop/rockers that weren't INXS used a retro pop backdrop for a sweet twee little number I liked.


S'Express - "Theme From S'Express"
from the album Original Soundtrack (1989)
Billboard Hot 100 peak: #91


I played this so much I know I made my friends crazy. The filtered sample classic before the lawsuits would put a damper on this sort of thing. Drop that ghetto blaster!


Yazz & The Plastic Population - "The Only Way Is Up"
from the album Wanted (1988)
Billboard Hot 100 peak: #96


This was my gospel music when I was coming out. Not surprising she's singing spiritual music now.

Thanks for coming, that's a wrap for this trip to the 80s. Check back tomorrow for another Song of the Day, Candletime, and my top 100 tunes for the week. Cheers!

Comments

John said…
This is a great group of songs. I was a massive Maniacs fan, and even got to see them play a small club in Jamestown, NY where they were from while I was in college. You're right about Toni Childs, and that BLBC soundtrack was pretty stellar.